Applying for a Machine Readable Passport (MRP)
The following sections provide guidelines on how to apply for a Machine Readable Passport (MRP). Please note that the guidelines provided in this page are indicative. The Embassy reserves the right to request for any additional document at any stage for scrutiny by the Consular Officer before rendering any service.
Requirement for MRP Application:
1. Must have an existing Bangladeshi passport (Handwritten or MRP)
2.. Bangladesh National ID (NID) card
Birth Registration Certificate containing 17-digit Birth Registration Number (BRN).
- Those who are not in possession of Birth Registration Certificate containing 17-digit birth registration number, may obtain it by sending a copy of their valid Bangladesh passport to their respective City Corporation, Municipality, Union Parishad or by applying online at http://bdris.gov.bd/br/application
- Alternatively, they can apply to this Embassy for Interim Birth Registration Number (IBRN). Detailed procedure for obtaining Interim Birth Registration Number (IBRN) is outlined below. It may be noted that Embassy doesn’t issue Bangladesh National ID card.
Procedure for obtaining Interim Birth Registration Number (IBRN) from the Embassy:
- Bangladesh Embassy in Brussels has initiated issuance of Interim Birth Registration Number (IBRN), which will be required if the applicant doesn’t possess National ID Card or Birth Registration Number (BRN). Applicants who already have the Bangladesh National ID card or Birth Registration Number (BRN), do not need to apply for IBRN.
- While IBRN can only be used only for MRP application, BRN can be used for many other purposes apart from MRP application. After obtaining an IBRN, you may later apply for BRN in your concerned City Corporation /Pouroshova/Union Parisad in Bangladesh.
The applicant has to submit the following documents for getting IBRN from this Embassy:
(1) Duly filled-in application Forms in English (Capital letter) and Bangla-- Forms are available in the Download section;
(2) Original Bangladesh Passport along with the copy of first seven pages;
(3) In case of application for a new born baby or the child who is endorsed in his/her mother’s/father’s passport, it is advised to apply online http://bdris.gov.bd/br/application in the parent’s respective address in Bangladesh.
Applicable Fees: Application fee for IBRN is 01 euro.
Procedure for Obtaining Machine Readable Passport (MRP):
MRP contains 48 pages and shall remain valid for 5 (five) years. Bangladeshi passport holders still holding hand-written passports are kindly suggested to replace their existing hand-written passports with Machine Readable Passport (MRP).
To apply for Machine Readable Passport (MRP), applicant must follow the following steps:
Step-1: To Collect and fill up of MRP Application form
We prefer online application from the applicant. Please browse the following weblink for online application. Select, Brussels, if you want to apply in this Mission.
If you fail to apply by online, you should fill up the downloaded MRP application form from the ‘Download Form’ section of this website.
After submission of application online, applicant must contact Bangladesh Embassy for making an appointment within 15 days of submission, failing which may cause automatic removal of record from the system. Applicant has to report to the Embassy on the date of appointment for providing biometric data along with a printed version of the Online Application form and other necessary documents.
Step-2: Making Appointment
As the applicant has to submit the filled-in MRP application in person, the applicant must make a prior appointment with the Embassy’s Consular Section over phone by calling +32-2-640 5500 to obtain a date and time. Without prior appointment, no support can be extended.
Step-3: Submission of MRP application form
The applicant will come to the Embassy in person on the date and time confirmed with the Embassy for submission of MRP application.
The applicant must submit the following documents to get enrolled for MRP:
- Duly filled-in 04(four) pages Machine Readable Passport (MRP) Application Form in English (capital letters) or print out;
- Two copies of recent photograph (55 mmx45 mm);
- A photocopy of his/her National ID card or Birth Registration Certificate containing 17-digit Birth Registration Number (BRN) or Interim Birth Registration Certificate containing 17-digit IBRN issued by the Embassy;
- Copies of pages 1 through 7 of applicant’s existing Bangladesh Passport (valid or expired) along with the original passport itself;
- Payment of applicable fees ---100 euro/30 euro for students, upon production of appropriate document;
A passport-size photo (55mmx45mm) of the applicant must be affixed with the MRP application form. If the applicant is a child under the age of 15, parents’ photos are required to be appended on the application form. In certain cases, either of the parent’s photos will be accepted.
Appended Photo on the application form needs to be attested by a Councillor/JP/ Teacher or Solicitor. Half of the signature and seal should be on the photo and the other half on the application form. Address and seal of the attester must be provided at page-4 of the form.
Step-4- Biometric Enrolment Process:
At the MRP enrolment booth applicant’s Finger Prints, Signature in Electronic Pad and Photograph will be taken. After the Bio-enrolment, all data and scanned application form will be sent electronically to the Department of Immigration & Passport in Dhaka where, after due police verification, Machine Readable Passport (MRP) will be issued and printed. It will then be sent to the Embassy for delivery to the applicant.
Step-5: Delivery of the passport
After completion of the enrolment process, the applicant will be given a tentative date of delivery of Machine-Readable Passport. The passport is printed in Dhaka and later sent to the Mission. The whole procedure may take at least 30 days.
Applicants need to contact the Embassy preferably over telephone for confirmation of arrival of passports from Dhaka. Upon confirmation from the Embassy the applicant shall come to the Embassy in person along with his or her old Bangladesh Passport and delivery slip, and present the delivery slip and the old passport to the counter. New MRP will be handed over along with the old passport (with observation or cancellation seal) after taking signature on the acknowledgement of receipt.
The processing time: 30-40 days at least (if no problem occurs)